While it is also present in women, testosterone is mainly a hormone predominantly found in men. It is produced in the testicles in men and the ovaries in women, with small amounts also being released by the adrenal glands. Testosterone has multiple functions in the body but it is mainly responsible for the development of male sexual characteristics. It impacts the growth of facial hair, the deepening of the voice, the development of muscle mass, and bone density.
Testosterone plays a vital role in the regulation of the reproductive system in men. Everything connected to reproduction and sexual performance is affected by it. It is responsible for the production of sperm and the maturation of male sex organs, it regulates the sex drive (libido), in both men and women and as such is a very important hormone. When its levels are suboptimal, there are certain problems. Low testosterone levels lead to a decrease in sex drive, erectile dysfunction, and infertility in men, with many other side effects also happening.
Why Does It Drop?
In addition to its essential role in the reproductive system and sex life, testosterone has other important functions in the body. From the growth and maintenance of muscle mass and bone density to the production of red blood cells that carry oxygen throughout the body, its roles seemingly never stop. So why does it drop then and how can the body still function properly with a limited amount?
Testosterone levels are affected by a variety of factors. Age is the main one with lifestyle and medical conditions following close behind. Testosterone levels naturally decrease as men age and it is normal for every male to go through it. For some, it happens sooner and can lead to a decrease in muscle mass, bone density, and sex drive. Lifestyle factors like poor diet, lack of exercise, and high-stress levels can also decrease T levels. Medical conditions, obesity, and diabetes can also lead to low testosterone levels.
There are of course ways to remedy lower levels of testosterone. Treatments are available for low and include hormone replacement therapy as the most drastic measure and simple lifestyle changes as the easiest. The golden middle, however, comes in the form of testosterone boosters, the star of our article. Right here and now, we talk about testosterone boosters, their benefits and ingredients, and the best products for men above 50 years of age who want to get control of their life back.
What Happens to Men After 50?
Testosterone levels naturally decline with levels typically starting to drop around age 30 and continuing to decline gradually over time. By the time most men reach their 50s, they will have already experienced a significant decline that can be felt in many areas of life. The changes can have a number of effects on the body and can lead to a range of symptoms.
One of the most common symptoms of low testosterone levels in men over 50 is a great decrease in sex drive (libido). Also, men tend to experience difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection, leading to erectile dysfunction and then of course low self-esteem, confidence, and anxiety. In addition to this, low testosterone leads to decreased muscle mass and strength, decreased bone density, and an increased risk of osteoporosis.
Low testosterone levels can also affect mood and cognitive function and those going through it can experience feelings of depression, anxiety, high irritability, and mood swings. There may also be trouble with memory and concentration and decreased overall motivation and energy levels.
Other potential symptoms of low testosterone levels in men over 50 include faster fat accumulation and weight gain, particularly around the abdomen, and decreased body hair growth. Some men also experience hot flashes or night sweats, similar to what women experience during menopause.
What Are Testosterone Boosters?
Testosterone boosters are supplements that increase testosterone levels in the body. They typically contain a mix of natural ingredients believed to stimulate testosterone production, improve muscle mass and strength, and enhance libido. Because of this, they are also often marketed and advertised as fitness supplementation as well.
Some testosterone boosters are effective to a certain degree, but it is important to note that many products currently available on the market are not scientifically proven to work 100% of the time. Some are even unsafe and with drastic side effects. Certain ingredients should be present with the ones you are browsing, like these for example:
- D-Aspartic Acid: This is an amino acid that is linked with an increase in testosterone levels in some studies.
- Fenugreek: A plant extract, it can help improve muscle mass and strength, as well as increase libido.
- Tribulus Terrestris: Another plant extract, this one is thought to stimulate testosterone production and improve sexual performance/function.
- Zinc: A very important mineral in the body, it is essential for testosterone production and could improve sperm quality and quantity.
- Vitamin D: Here is a nutrient important for the overall health of the body and therefore T levels too. Some studies claim that it is beneficial in testosterone level increase.
- Ashwagandha: This is an adaptogenic herb that helps reduce stress and improve testosterone levels.
While testosterone boosters can help, they are not a substitute for a healthy lifestyle. A balanced diet, regular exercise, and enough sleep are all important for maintaining healthy testosterone levels. Boosters are there to enhance it a bit, to boost, and to supplement. For men above 50, everything is equally important.
In addition to their potential benefits for testosterone, some of these boosters have other health benefits. For example, zinc improves immune function and reduces inflammation, and vitamin D is important for bone health and reduces the risk of certain diseases. Being cautious when using testosterone boosters is highly advised as many products readily available on the market are FDA-approved and may contain harmful ingredients.
How to Choose: A Buyer’s Guide
When picking the right product for your own needs is concerned, it is anything but an easy decision. There is a lot to think about and evaluate when choosing a T-level booster for men above 50 because it needs to work, it must have good ingredients, and it has to offer other benefits. Here is a quick buyer’s guide to help you:
- Consult with a doctor: Before buying and taking any booster, consult with a doctor especially if you have pre-existing health conditions.
- Natural ingredients: Pick the one that contains natural ingredients like fenugreek, ashwagandha, and zinc. Avoid those with synthetic ingredients.
- Check dosages: The dosage should be appropriate for your age, weight, and overall health. Avoid taking more than what is recommended dosage as it can lead to adverse effects.
- Consider the form: Testosterone boosters are available in different forms, mainly capsules, powders, and liquids. Pick the one that is easy for you to consume.
- Read the label: A testosterone booster should provide detailed information about all the ingredients, as well as the dosages. Choose the one free from harmful additives and fillers.
- Consider the price: As with anything else out there, testosterone boosters can vary in price. It is important to choose one that fits your budget, but never compromise on quality for a cheaper option.
- Check for certifications: You want a booster that is certified by independent third-party organizations (NSF International or USP). These ensure the supplement meets quality and safety standards.
- Product Reviews: Our Picks
Before talking about each one in particular, here is an overview of the ingredient lists of all 4 reviewed testosterone boosters:
|Booster Ingredients||TestoPrime||Prime Male||TestoGen||Testo-Max|
|Green Tea Extract||200 mg||/||/|
|Black Pepper Extract||6.68 mg||/||/|
|Ginseng||8000 mg||120 mg||40 mg||40 mg|
|D-Aspartic Acid||2000 mg||1600 mg||2352 mg||2353 mg|
|Garlic Extract||1200 mg||/|
|Fenugreek Extract||800 mg||/||40 mg||40 mg|
|Ashwagandha Extract||668 mg||300 mg||/|
|Pomegranate Extract||360 mg||/||/|
|Zinc||40 mg||300 mg||10 mg||10 mg|
|Vitamin D||29.58 mcg||/||/||52 mcg|
|Vitamin B5||8 mg||/||/|
|Vitamin B6||5.6 mg||7.5 mg||20 mcg||20 mg|
|Vitamin K2||/||45 mcg||/|
|Vitamin K1||/||20 mcg||/||20 mcg|
|Vitamin D3||/||10 mcg||50 mcg|
|Boron||/||5 mg||8 mg||8 mg|
|Bioprene||/||10 mg||5 mg||5 mg|
|Nettle Leaf/Root Extract||/||160 mg||40 mg||40 mg|
|Magnesium||/||100 mg||200 mg||200 mg|
The number one choice on the market for testosterone increase, especially for men over 50, is TestoPrime. An all-natural booster that boosts the production of testosterone the right way, it is also rich in other benefits.
It reduces stress and improves stamina and endurance, and improves libido. Weight loss and stubborn fat burn are supported and assisted. For the active and fitness-focused 50-something-year-olds, it also boosts muscle strength by as much as 140%.
- Muscle and bone development enhancement
- Effective, tested, and well-researched formula with 12 ingredients
- Naturally restores T-levels
- Promotes fat-burning and weight loss
- It takes a month for results to show
- Only available on the official site
- 1 dose equals 4 pills
2. Prime Male
Right up there with the best of them is Prime Male, another amazing option for any man aged 50 or up who wants to increase his testosterone back to optimal levels. A carefully researched blend of ingredients, makes the body produce more testosterone without side effects.
The formula also improves fatigue and gives energy, restores sex drive, and supports a better overall mood. Mental sharpness is enhanced, erectile dysfunction is eliminated, and muscle mass development and recovery are greatly supported.
You can read our article about Testofuel and Prime Male, and determine how they are different.
- Libido, mood, and cognitive functions enhanced
- Fat loss and lean muscle mass supporting
- Testosterone production permanently improved
- Symptoms of low T-levels reversed
- Consistent use needed for max result
- Non-vegan, non-vegetarian
- 1 dose is 4 capsules
- Only available on the official site
If you want your fitness abilities to remain intact well into your 50s and also increase testosterone levels back to where they should be, look no further than TestoGen. Full of potent natural ingredients, it delivers tangible results in a short time.
On top of it all, weight loss and fat burning are assisted, energy levels boosted, and lean muscle growth promoted. Strength and stamina will increase because the booster supports their growth and functionality. Finally, stress is gone and the overall mood is managed.
- Accelerates natural testosterone production
- Libido, energy, and mood improved
- Fat loss supported
- Muscle development, growth, and strength greatly enhanced
- Consistent use is a must for full results
- Only available on the official site
- Minimum dosage must be met and never altered
The fourth entry on the list of top testosterone boosters for men over 50 is a legal, safe, and very effective formula and a great alternative to synthetic steroids and drugs. Risk-free, apart from great testosterone boating, it also improves energy levels, increases sexual functionality and drive, and removes that stubborn abdominal fat.
The promotion of a better physique and more strength does not stop there either. The formula also supports fast muscle mass development, lowers recovery time, and maximizes strength. It is a bit too focused on users who care about fitness, but it still does great on the T-levels front too.
- Great testosterone increase
- Mood, energy, and libido are improved
- Safe, legal, and with no side-effects
- Rapid muscle growth and recovery
- Doses are strict and cannot be split (1 dose = 4 capsules)
- Not suitable for sensitive, non-fitness users
- Continuous use is required
Conclusion and Takeaways
Testosterone is a crucial hormone in the male body that plays a vital role in so many areas. From the development of sexual characteristics and regulation of the reproductive system to the maintenance of muscle mass and bone density, it is vital. Low testosterone levels lead to a variety of health problems and issues, especially for those over 50, but the right booster helps restore normal levels. If you are experiencing low T-level symptoms and your 50th birthday is behind you, it is important to think about the purchase and talk to a professional before you get one. Make sure to also change your lifestyle a bit.