Damsons are the small plums, and plums are the fruit of prunus. The prunus is a genus which has tree and shrubs that includes plums fruit such as cherries, almonds etc.
The damsons are also called greengages and blackberries and have a juicy and sweet taste. You can eat it fresh and used it in the crumbles. Damsons taste are similar to the astringent flavour.
Usually, people recognize mature plum fruit from the dusty-white waxy coating that has a pale green color appearance. The plums have different colors like black, bright, red and blue.
The scientific name of damsons is Prunus domestica Subsp. Insititia.
The damsons are native to Europe, but the name of the damsons is derived from Great Britain.
Can You Freeze Damsons
Yes, you can freeze damsons, but it would be better if you blanched damsons before freezing once you blanch the damsons so it will stay fresh for longer.
If you have any plane to eat damsons within one week, so it’s not recommended to blanch them. Sometimes people bought more damsons, so they need to freeze them for later. If you are wondering how to store damsons to make it long-lasting, then directly jump the freezing damsons section.
If you want to consume damsons quickly, then don’t wash it.
How To Freeze Damsons
Freezing damsons is very easy but don’t be confused if you have plums, sloes, blackberries and greengages because it’s the same thing but have different names in different regions. Now let’s move to the steps of freezing damsons.
- First of all, wash the fruit.
- While washing, make sure to remove the bad one, many people also wash the rotten fruit. It’s not recommended to wash the bad one through them away.
- Don’t freeze the overripe fruit; make sure they are ripe and in good condition before freezing.
- Most of the berry fruit did not freeze well, but if I talk about the damsons, so they freeze well.
- Open small berry fruit such as raspberries and spread them tray lined with baking parchment, Freeze them once they become solid.
- Put the damsons fruit in the freezer-safe bag or airtight container and freeze them.
- Don’t forget to label the freezer bag so that you will know the freezing date.
While freezing damsons take care of all the above points.
How To Freeze Damsons In Sugar Syrup
- If you want to avoid discoloration, it’s recommended to freeze damsons in the sugar syrup with lemon.
- While making sugar syrup, take one liter of water and dissolve 450g sugar in the water. Make sure you are dissolving sugar and water using low heat.
- Boil it for 1-2 minutes, and add the juice of a lemon.
- Put the sliced and halved fruit in the plastic containers, If you don’t have plastic containers here food containers alternative.
- Add a sufficient amount of sugar and seal it properly. While sealing, make sure to squeeze out the air.
- Label the container. Frozen fruit will last 2-3 months in the freezer.
In sugar syrup, the color of damsons will stay the same.
There are different damsons recipes, but I am going to talk about damsons jam recipe which most people love.
- Damsons (2.75Kg)
- Jam sugar (2.25Kg)
- First of all, you need to put 3-4 small saucers in the freezer and purify your pots and lids.
- Now take a large pan and put damsons on it, add 300 ml water and simmering for 13-15 minutes until they become soft.
- Stir in the jam sugar, ensure you are using low heat, continue stirring until the sugar dissolved completely. Boil it for 15 minutes and off the heat after 15 minutes.
- Now spoon a little jam onto a chilled saucer, freeze it for 3-5 minutes. If you want to know about that it’s ready or not then push your finger through it and once you know it’s wrinkle and is not runny, so it means it’s ready. If you feel it’s not ready yet then turn on the heat for 2-3 minutes and retest, continue the same process until they become ready.
- Remove stones using teaspoon as you can, that’s it covers it and labels the container so you will know the frozen date.
While sterilizing jars and lids, wash them properly and dry them on a low oven heat, for making damsons jam recipe follow the above procedure.
What can I do with Damsons UK?
Are you confused about what you need to do with damsons UK? You won’t worry about that because you can use this fruit in many recipes. You can make jam, or cooked into the sauce to serve meat.
Do Damsons ripen after picking?
Damsons are not like other fruits that ripen after picking. They will be unripe if you pick them. It would be best if you left them on the tree because once they become ripe so the damsons will fall off the tree.
Can I use frozen Damsons to make jam?
If you don’t know how to freeze damsons, then read the above instruction to freeze damsons. Yes, you can use frozen damsons to make jam because the frozen damsons are soft and it also saves our time while cooking.
How long does homemade damson jam last?
If you made homemade damsons using sugar and processed it properly by canning in the hot water bath so they will last for a year but ensure to place them in the cool place.
When should I pick Damsons?
I will recommend picking the damsons when they completely ripe, If you pick the damsons, but it tastes tart, so it means they are unripe. The ripe damsons have astringent flavor and sweet-sour.
That was all about freezing damsons. Now you may know that can you freeze damson? You can freeze damsons I have also mentioned freezing damsons method.
You can also freeze damsons in sugar syrup, to avoid discolouration.
If you want to enjoy different taste of damsons, then make damsons jam using the above recipe.
You can eat damsons straight from the tree but find out the ripe damsons to enjoy the delicious taste.
Are you Rumchata lover? You can drink Rumchata after eating damsons.